Sunday, February 3, 2008

Making good on a promise!

I promised a scrappy friend (who's also nuts about animals!) pics of my furry children! We run quite the special needs facility here! But, I love 'em! Here they are and probably more info than you wanted to know:

Mandy - 7 yr old dilute calico I got as a baby kitten from my aunt. A stray had kittens and I wanted a dilute calico. She was a little wild when I first got her, but luckily she turned out to be a great kitty! If you sit down for any period of time, this one will try to get into your lap! I joke and say that Mandy and I have to stick together, because I had her before I had even met my husband! She plays in the water bowl and will try to snitch stuff off the counters in the kitchen. Her creatinine is borderline high, so she's on a prescription diet for kidney health. (AKA - Mandy Sue, Mandy Suzie)
Oliver - he's the only boy! He's 3 and found him as a stray in our garage one night when I got home from work. Hubby thinks I smuggled him in, but I really didn't! He was so malnourished and dehydrated that he was a little bag of bones and could only squeak instead of meow. That quickly changed. He's had some medical issues... to the tune of $1500 that the Uof I coudn't figure out. We had to stop further testing, and he's doing ok for now... In the process of all the testing they found 2 urinary stones so he's on a special urinary diet. He's a Mama's boy and will follow me around the house. He is the most skittish - doesn't like strangers to come over or loud noises. He absolutely adores Keri and will groom her face! It's so cute! (AKA - Oli, Oli-man, Bubby, Little Man)
Keri - 7 yr old English Setter... We aquired her as 2 yr old - was working in a vet clinic and a breeder brought her in after being hit by a car. When our Dr. said he could not repair her hock so she'd be competitive in field trials, he opted to have her put down. Our Dr. talked him out of that and I became her new mommy! She's had a pin in her hock joint and was in a splint for 3 weeks. She'll carry it some, but at others, she uses it like normal. She's such a lover bug and is a total snuggler! Oh, and she loves being outside to squirrel/bird watch. Because of her injury - she's on a prescription food for joint health. (AKA - Keri Berry, Punkerdoodle) Marissa - 6 yr old...when my hubby and I got engaged, he went out to our local humane society to get a kitten so Mandy would have a playmate. Evidently she was hanging upside down on her cage door. Her personality is still like that... she's such a fun cat! She's partial to hubby and is a bit odd at times... she repeatedly licks soap and glossy pictures if she gets half a chance. She'll talk back - when we scold her, she'll meow in protest! She also will get "lost" in our house... until we call her and she comes running, like - "oh, thank goodness I found you!" Her creatinine level is borderline too, so she's on the kidney food as well. (AKA- Black Cat, MarissaMarissa)
And last but not least - Belle, 15 yr-ish! Boxer/Boston Terrier mix about 42 pounds. We aquired her a year ago from hubby's sister. Actually James owned her for a couple of years about 12 yrs ago! His sister had a couple of young dogs that pestered Belle and thought that our house would be a good retimrement home! Also, we're better able to care for her due to my job. She's pretty laid back, but she'll get really excited at times and dance around, especially when it's time to eat! She's fit in nicely... only medical issue is a leaky bladder so she's on daily pills. Oh, and a prescription food for joint health. (AKA - Bellzie)

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Oh my goodness, Cindy, you're furry family is BEAUTIFUL! I love the all the great stories behind each one. I just want to reach through the screen and pet them all. You know, our boy cat, Attila, sounds just like your Oliver - a total mama's boy who doesn't like strangers. It's funny how attached we become to our furry family members. I'm so gald I have someone who understands!! Thanks for posting these pictures :)