We planted 2 zucchini plants in our garden, and we've had 18 zucchini come off of them. I think we're done, because it appears some sort of disease killed/is killing the plants. I've tried to get creative in using up the zucchini, though, and here are a few recipes we've tried and liked. I've also been told that you can freeze shredded zucchini for later use. Not sure how the texture would hold up in some of these recipes, but I think for zucchini bread, it would be ok. (I have yet to try a bread recipe!) All of these recipes were made using fresh, from the garden zucchini. My toddlers have enjoyed these recipes... and they will even eat it raw!
Dad... I think you could probably substitute your crook-neck squash with about the same results in most of these recipes... or a mix of the squash and zucchini.
Zucchini Pie
3 cups zucchini, diced
1 onion, chopped
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup Bisquick
1/2 cup oil (or instead of the oil, one time I used 1/4 cup low fat sour cream and 1/4 cup Miracle Whip mayo - makes it less greasy, I think. Another time I used the left over little bit of some ranch veggie dip, and enough mayo to equal 1/2 cup total)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
Black pepper to taste
(The last time I made this, I also added a little bit of diced ham. You could add bacon, green peppers, spinich, garlic, or whatever you want, really!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12 in. pie plate. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Spread into prepared dish. Bake for 30 min, or until lightly brown.
Amish Zucchini Patties
3 tbls olive oil (any oil would work)
3 cups peeled, shredded zucchini
3 eggs
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
salt/pepper
Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Stir ingredients together in a large bowl. Drop the batter by tablespoons into the skillet. As the batter begins to thicken, shape into patties and fry until golden brown - about 3 min on each side.
(I added some store bought seasoned bread crumbs to the batter mixture to make this a little easier to work with and less runny.)
Baked Zucchini Chips
2 med zucchini, sliced
1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 egg whites (I used the whole eggs)
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. In one small bowl, stir together bread crumbs, pepper, and cheese. Place beaten eggs in a separate bowl. Dip zucchini slices into egg, then coat with breadcrumb mixture. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes then turn over and bake another 5-10 min until brown and crispy. (I found that baking longer is needed to get them crispy)
Zucchini "Pancakes"
1/3 cup Busquick
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups shredded zucchini
2 tbls butter to fry with (I used cooking spray)
Mix all but zucchini until just blended. Add zucchini and mix well. Drop batter by 1/3 cup into heated skillet. Press to flatten. Fry about 3 minutes on each side. Serve with sour cream and/or salsa (I didn't... my toddlers and I ate them as is for lunch one day)
Amish Zucchini Jam
6 cups peeled, shredded zucchini
1 cup water
6 cups sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 20oz can crushed pineapple
2 3 oz boxes apricot jello
Begin sterilization of 4 pint jars, lids and rings. Combine zucchini and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over med heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for 6 minutes. Stir in the sugar, lemon juice and pineapple. Bring to a boil again and cook for 6 min more. Add the jello and mix well. Immediately pour into sterilized pint jars (or jelly jars) and attach seals and rings. Process according to canning regulations (I boiled filled jars for 10 minutes.)
I found my jam to be a runny in cooled processed jars, but after refrigerating a jar to use, it was more solid. All was not lost! I've never seen jello used in a jam/jelly recipe, and maybe the refrigerating "finishes" the jello so it sets up. We'll see how the jars set up in a few months from now... The flavor is really good - very sweet!
Zucchini Cornbread casserole
4 cups shredded zucchini
1 onion, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
1 8.5 oz pkg dry corn muffin mix
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 qt (or 8x8 pan). Mix all ingredients and put into dish. Bake for 1 hour.
This was really yummy... tasted like cornbread dressing we have a Thanksgiving! You could add some bacon, spinich, montery jack cheese instead of cheddar, basil/garlic... Sounds yummy!
Zucchini Cobbler (might want to make 1/2 recipe... makes a lot!)
8 cups chopped, seeded, peeled zucchini ( I thinly sliced mine using a food processor)
2/3 c lemon juice
1 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (I omitted, and added more cinnamon)
Crust:
4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1 tsp cinnamon
Over med/low heat, cook and stir zucchini and lemon juice for 15-20 min until tender. Add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and simmer 1 min longer. Remove from heat, set aside.
Combine flour and sugar and cut in butter until course crumbs appear. Stir 1/2 cup into zucchini mixture. Pres 1/2 of remaining crust mix into greased 15x10x1 pan. Spread zucchini over top. Crumble remaining crust mixture over zucchini. Sprinkle wiht cinnamon. Bake at 375 for 35-40 min.
(I only made 1/2 this recipe and baked it in an 8x8 pan for 35 minutes. This doesn't taste exactly like apple cobbler, but it's pretty close. The texture of the zucchini is different... a little more crunchy, I think. It was good though. Would be yummy over vanilla ice cream!)
20 hours ago




1 comment:
Wow, great recipes... There is a beetle that attacks zucchini and the yellow squash plants. They suck the life out of the plant. They look like black legs, then you see black legs with a tiny dot for a body. They end up being beige with black legs, if I remember correctly. They can also get a type of mold.
Hugs,
PattiM
{Pattie's passion}
I Scrap So All Moments Are Remembered!
Post a Comment