Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 231st Birthday America!


Today is July 4 - and 231 years ago today, brave men signed the Declaration of Independance proclaiming freedom. I think of all the men and women since that time who have selflessly gone forth and fought for that freedom. While it's hard for me to understand all of the decisions and directions of history-past and present, I am nonetheless thankful that I live in a free nation. Spend a little time and reflect on this. As I did today, I'm thankful my Dad answered his call to duty at the tender age of 19. I wore one of his army uniforms as a Senior in high school during Homecoming week (Dress as the opposite sex day - with my hair all pulled up and moustache drawn on with eye liner and everything) but what really struck me was that as his uniform fit me pretty well, I realized at that time I was not much younger than he when he was sent overseas to fight in Vietnam, leaving his young bride and a bright future. I couldn't imagine myself leaving all my dreams and aspirations, and going to somewhere I'd never even thought of going, doing things I'd never thought of doing, and seeing things I'd never thought of seeing and haunted by those images forever... I am thankful that my father was and is dedicated to freedom as a citizen of the United States. As I enjoy the fireworks and yummy melon I fixed up today, I will be a little more grateful for my freedom. Will you?

No comments: