Friday, October 17, 2008

Seeing Double!!!

I had my second Dr.'s appointment and 2nd ultrasound Wed. I laid on the table and the Dr. begins the ultrasound. After a couple of minutes, we're all looking at the screen and about the same time, my Dr. gasps and I see what he sees. There are 2 heart beats. I blurt out, "Oh my gosh, is that two??" And he says... "I think so" in this cute sing songy voice. I put my hands to my forhead and just let the news sink in...

WE ARE HAVING TWINS!!!!!!

James was rather calm about the whole thing - taking it all matter of factly. I started thinking about all the things that will change - we'll have to use the bigger bedroom, so there will be room for two cribs, and we'll have to get a second crib, and much more.
My Dr. decides after further looking that they are in separate sacs, which he stressed was very good. I asked him if this small bit of news would change anything in my treatment, and explained that I'll need a prescription of folic acid to take in addition to my prenatal vitamin, he'll see me more often and he'll do more ultrasounds, there is a greater chance of early delivery (average 36-37 weeks) and a greater chance of C-section. He also mentioned that there is also a higher chance that something could be wrong with one or both babies, or me, but that most twins are born healthy and I shouldn't worry much. I laughed and asked my Dr. "so how many sets of twins have you delivered?" And he responded "oh, lots." He said that our small hospital delivers 6-7 sets of twins a year.

I can still hardly believe that there are 2 babies... James says that I need to stop saying this, that next time we go there will be 3! Never in my whole life did I entertain the possibility that I'd be the mother to twins! We didn't think we had any multiples in the family, but after announcing this surprising news to our families, my Dad has 2 sets of first cousins that are twins (one set from his Dad's side, and 1 set from his Mom's side) and James' moms' Grandpa (I think) was a twin.


Here are some ultrasound pictures... you kinda have to use your imagination, but they are sweet all the same!

I circled what my Dr. told me were our two little ones... so that makes it a little easier to see what's what. I wish we'd had had a video of the 2 heartbeats... that was amazing!


Twin a:



Twin b:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Cindy, God is really blessing you two for all your patience. It just goes to prove that God can do even more than we imagine.
Congrats, Aunt Penny

luvzenkm2 (Leea) said...

woohoo! I am so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you guys!! I can't wait to see the two pale little red headed kids!!

Jena