Monday, November 14, 2011

Baby #3


On Sunday November 6, I found out that baby #3 is on the way. To be honest, I was a little surprised to see that + sign. James and I had been struggling with the decision to try for another baby for quite a while. We knew that on paper, adding another mouth to feed and body to insure would take more money that was tight anyway, but we both could not shake the thought of putting an end to our fertility and not getting to experience another pregnancy/birth/childhood. We could not decide which way we thought God was leading us. He gives his people intelligence to use to make wise decisions... but He also says that children are a blessing. So, my wise husband approached me in the spring about a compromise of sorts. We agreed that we would give God a specific period of time to work in us to allow us to conceive if that was His will for us. While, I fought the idea of "time running out" I was comfortable with this idea. I went off birth control the beginning of May, and were going to give it until James' break in December unless we felt we were to go longer. To be honest, I was a little skeptical as to whether we would get pregnant. It took us about 2 years go conceive the girls, and we ended receiving an infertility diagnosis that was unlikely but not impossible. Then we conceived the girls without any medical intervention. I just kinda thought that we were given 2 at once because that was all we were going to get. And while that would be a little sad, we were giving up control and if we didn't conceive again, then it wasn't God's will to have another baby. And I would've been ok. Might I have had times of sadness longing for another baby... probably. But, I was content with knowing we let go of our portion of control... wanting what God wants for us.
And we conceived!

I had been having some symptoms that made me wonder if I might be pregnant, but I had mistaken PMS stuff for early pregnancy before. Saturday evening, I had a couple little bouts of feeling slightly nauseous, so I decided that if I would test in the morning if menstration hadn't started. It was about 4:30 am (3:30 actually due to the time change) and unlike testing with the girls, I watched the test during the 2 minutes the instructions say to wait. It didn't immediately turn positive, but the crossbar gradually started to blue up. I was surprised! I kept the secret to myself while getting back to bed. Of course I didn't sleep. Hannah soon woke up calling for me and I went in to her. She pointed to her pillow, which is her sign for me to lay down with her. I did, and asked if she wanted to know a secret. She shook her head yes. I told her I was going to have a baby! She smiled really big. I don't know if she really understood, but she knew it was something good. She was pretty chattery, and wasn't going to go back to sleep if I stayed, so I tucked her in and told her it was still dark and still night night time, and that she should go back to sleep. I went back to our bed. She soon fell asleep. I finally dozed off until the girls woke. I went to get them, and brought them to our room and they climbed on the bed. James was kinda awake by this time. I told Hannah to tell Daddy our secret. (I had to remind her what it was) and while she didn't immediately tell Daddy, she soon did... and perfectly! "Mommy's havin' a baby!" And Daddy's reply was, "She is? Horray!" So, we all laid in bed chatting and enjoying the news. The girls kept saying "Baby Miwels" (Friends of ours had a new baby named Miles this summer... so that's what they associate with talk of a new baby)

This isn't a very flattering photo of any of us... but shows the smiles we all shared that morning.
I had considered waiting to tell James during our family photos later that morning, but decided I didn't want a reason to buy more photos. Plus, having Hannah tell the news was very sweet. We talked about keeping the news to ourselves, and making the announcement in some fun way during our Christmas celebrations, but decided that we couldn't keep the secret that long. Plus, early prayers wouldn't hurt either. We called our parents and made announcements on Facebook.
I have continued to feel some mild nausea... but it's not bad. If I keep food in my belly, it kinda goes away. (but I didn't start feeling sick with the girls this early either, so I'm kinda expecting it to get worse) I have been feeling very tired... falling asleep on the couch before 9pm watching TV with James, as is our nightly ritual (right now we're watching an episodes of Numb3rs via Netflix) James thinks it's funny... and snapped this photo. He so lovingly reminded me that I'm 3 years older than when I was newly pregnant with the girls, so my body might just be needing more rest.



I've had bloodwork to confirm the pregnancy, and to ensure that my pregnancy hormone (hCG) is rising as it should be. I see my new OB's nurse this week for the first health/past pregnancy history, exam, and bloodwork. We'll schedule the initial ultrasound at that appointment. According to an online calculator, my due date should be close to July 17. That seems like forever away...

No comments: