Tuesday, November 29, 2011

1st Ultrasound for Baby #3

Don't worry... it's just one!

I admit, I was pretty nervous going into this ultrasound. I had a dream a few days ago, that I was having 9 babies... but I realistically knew that wasn't possible as this was a natural conception. There were days where I was just convinced it was twins again, and then others, I thought it was just one. So, "mother's intuition" was out the window on this one. I thought, would not have been shocked to hear it was a multiple gestation again. I guess after you've heard it once, it's not as shocking. When I saw this image on the screen, I thought - well, it's twins again, but I asked the tech anyway. She said no, that the whitish area on the right (in the black circle) is just the yolk sac (what nourishes the baby before the placenta takes over at 12 weeks or so.) The bigger whitish area on the left of the black circle is our baby! Whew! So, we're having one! (Although, a part of me is still skeptical... as we had the first ultrasound with the girls thinking it was just one too... that was at 6 wks, and the re-do one was at 8 weeks) Today's ultrasound was at 7 weeks exactly. The baby measured 6 wks 6 days, so they'll probably leave my due date of July 17. Also, we saw the heart beat... going strong at 140 beats per minute. I took the girls with me... and I talked to them about seeing our tiny baby on the TV screen. I think they were expecting a full term baby, so this was kinda non-interesting to them. I ended up having to have an "internal" ultrasound, and thank goodness I brought the leash/harnesses, so I could keep them near me. I had packed some snacks for the visit too. The ultrasound tech was nervous about them being there and asked if they'd sit still... and finally said "well, we'll give it a try." No one told me that I shouldn't bring them. Hannah got mad that the "lady" wouldn't give her "colors" so she could color, but that was at the very end.

No comments: