Tuesday, July 10, 2007

It's all in the way you look at it!

Hi all - I spent the weekend at my parents house because I had been invited to a baby shower for a friend of mine back home. It's her first baby and when I sent her copies of pictures I had taken, she responded that she looked pretty "chunky" in the photos. I did a little research and found that a normal woman will gain 25-35 pounds during a pregnancy. I found a breakdown of this weight gain (Mayo clinic website):
Baby: 7 to 8 pounds
Larger breasts: 1 to 3 pounds
Larger uterus: 2 pounds
Placenta: 1 1/2 pounds
Amniotic fluid: 2 pounds
Increased blood volume: 3 to 4 pounds
Increased fluid volume: 2 to 3 pounds
Fat stores: 6 to 8 pounds

This puts 25-35 pounds into a more friendly perspective, I think! (Now, someone remind me of this when I'm saying I look chunky when I get pregnant...!)

No comments: