On Thursday, James and I celebrated 10 years of marriage. About a month ago, he told me not to do anything for our Anniversary, as he had it all planned. So, I spent the month trying to figure out what he had up his sleeve.
We had arranged that I would bring the girls up to James' work at the end of the day to show off their cute thrift store costumes, and then would leave together for our yearly family portraits. So, I spent the day Thursday doing normal stay at home mom stuff, bathed the girls after lunch so their hair would be fresh for photos, curled my hair, and make my hubby's favorite apple pie to enjoy later that evening. Not to mention that my arm was sore, and I had slept on my neck wrong the night before, leaving me in some pain. I was running out of time, but made it to his work close to the appointed time. As we walk in, my hubby hands me reservation paperwork to the romantic getaway place that we went to for my 30th birthday over 3 years ago. I look up and see my inlaws sitting there too... while all of this taking place in the office, infront of people I don't know very well. In hindsight, I wish I would have reacted better. Not that I reacted badly, I just didn't really react. My poor husband had to say something to make sure I knew what he had handed me. And for that I'm so sorry. My husband did such an amazing job picking, and keeping the surprise a secret, not to mention that it was an expensive gift. I had so many things running through my head in those moments... Is there food in the fridge for my inlaws to fix for meals while we're gone, did I leave wet laundry in the washing machine, I just left the kitchen a mess from making the pie, since we have to leave now I'll have to cancel the portraits and hope they don't charge a fee for the last minute cancellation, not to mention that I rushed around getting us all pretty for photos and we aren't having them done, this is the first time I will be away from my babies overnight and what if they "need" me, my arm/neck still hurt and Ben-gay muscle rub is not a very romantic "perfume" for such a special, expensive getaway, not to mention I was afraid the pain would put a damper on my excitement and our enjoyment, etc, etc, etc. We ran home, packed a bag, and I had the next 3 hours or so to forget all about the stressors and enjoy getting excited about our getaway.
IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!
Having it actually on our anniversary was special to me. Usually when we celebrate something and it happens to fall on a weekday, we wait until the weekend. And while we are still celebrating the event, it's not actually on the event. We didn't this time. My husband got the best room... this one was 2 story, had a garage for our car and had a slide for the pool. He also had romantic touches added to the room, a balloon bouquet, rose petals sprinkled on the bed, and chilling sparkling apple cider and chocolates waiting. We got there late in the evening, so we paid extra to have the late checkout (3pm) the next day, in which he previously arranged to have the day off work (and my father -in-law had taken 2 days off work.)
We really enjoyed having no agenda... and no interruptions. We could stay up as late as we wanted, and could sleep as late as we wanted. We enjoyed the warm pool very much. We lounged in bed and watched the new Captain America movie that had just come out earlier in the week. While I (we) missed our daughters, I didn't have anxiety about it, and very much enjoyed having a chance to be away and concentrate on my husband. We didn't even call home, mainly because if we felt the girls missed us we would feel obligated to come home. We knew that if there was a problem, we would be called, and left it at that. While at times I could still feel the pain in my arm/neck, the warm water and jets in the pool helped, as did lounging in bed. It didn't really didn't bother me too much, and for that I was extremely grateful.
James kept saying "You only have a 10th anniversary once" and he did an amazing job at making it special. I had suspected that maybe we'd have a night away, but didn't think we'd end up someplace so nice. We had a lovely time of reconnecting and enjoying each other. I'm so grateful that I married this man 10 years ago! It's not always been easy, but not much worthwhile is ever easy.
Here's some photos...
Turning off the room lights, turning on the pool lights and the mirrors made for a cool effect. This place does a great job of tastefully creating a romantic, sensual atmosphere.
And, here's my inlaws with their granddaugthers for their first sleep over (even though it was at their own home, H/M)




1 comment:
Looks like a great place. I'd never heard of it before but I may need to add it to my wish list!! Happy belated Anniversary!
Post a Comment